About twice a week I recieve a Direct Messag (DM) from someone on twitter saying that there are bad rumours spreading about me.
It is very tempting to click on the link offered to see what it is. If you do click on the link , you may have your Twitter account hijacked, all of your Twitter followers will be sent a personal copy of the same DM saying that someone is spreading lies about them.
Then they’ll click the link and have their credentials stolen, spam will begin flowing from their accounts and their followers will receive the same message, resulting in a never-ending cycle of Twitter account hijacking.
This scam has been around for some time now, it just keeps going around and around , occasionally the message will change, however the problem stays the same. \
Here are some of the possible messages you may receive – This list may not be comprehensive.
- Hey someone is saying nasty rumors about you… [LINK]
- Hello some person is making really bad rumors about you.. [ LINK]
- Hello this user is making some very bad rumors about you… [LINK]
- Hello some person is posting horrible things about you… [LINK]
- Hi somebody is making terrible rumors about you… [LINK]
- I cant believe this but there are some real nasty things being said about you here [LINK]
- Hey slut has been making up some nasty stories about you.. [LINK]
- YO! someperson is making upsome some nasty lies about u [LINK]
If you get a suspicious email like this – DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK!!!! – Yo been warned!